One of the finest countertops we received photos of this year came from a local company, William Carlisle Designs. He’s created several wood grain concrete countertops that are truly spectacular and has agreed to share some of his secrets with us.
Preparing the Mold and Pouring the Wood Grain Countertop
• Mold is made of re-sawn lumber joined together with biscuits and wood glue, clamped until dry.
• Sandblast the surface to bring out the wood grain.
• Edge grain was constructed from silicone molds cast on edges of lumber.
• Fiberglass sink mold was used for the bowl.
• Used a polyurethane to seal the wood form to prevent concrete from sticking followed with liquid form release.
• Sprayed a thin layer of countertop mix to completely cover mold to ensure good coverage over entire mold which helped prevent pinholes.
• Filled rest of mold with countertop mix and allowed to cure.
Acid Staining For a Wood Grain Concrete Countertop Look
“Just wanted to extend my gratitude to you. Through my acid staining process you were very helpful and very honest. I spoke with Frank about my acid stain project and he advised me on some design elements and boy, did my patio come out good for my first time doing this. Next I will be doing my master bed and bath so I am sure you will be hearing from me again.”
Glenn T. Jr – Marrero, LA
“Concrete is no longer just a base to be covered by tile or carpet. People are learning that because of the companies like mine and Direct Colors, the ability to make a floor a unique, beautiful piece of acid stain art that is unique completely to them.” Link C., Decocrete
Decocrete – Shawnee, OK
“In the last few months I have talked to many people about resurfacing my concrete floors. They were helpful but after talking to Shawna I had found my “Go to Professional.” Not only was she helpful, she went the additional distance that made me comfortable about redoing my floors. She also gave me a resource that I could count on from start to finish as my acid stain project progresses. When I need supplies or advice I will use her and ” Direct Colors Inc.” for my needs in the restoration of my floors and patio. She is just that good!!”
At Direct Colors, we pride ourselves on customer service and the promise that we’ll help guide you through a project from start to finish. Since 2001 Direct Colors has offered homeowners, contractors and small businesses quality products for reasonable prices.