One of the finest countertops we received photos of this year came from a local company, William Carlisle Designs. He’s created several wood grain concrete countertops that are truly spectacular and has agreed to share some of his secrets with us.
Preparing the Mold and Pouring the Wood Grain Countertop
• Mold is made of re-sawn lumber joined together with biscuits and wood glue, clamped until dry.
• Sandblast the surface to bring out the wood grain.
• Edge grain was constructed from silicone molds cast on edges of lumber.
• Fiberglass sink mold was used for the bowl.
• Used a polyurethane to seal the wood form to prevent concrete from sticking followed with liquid form release.
• Sprayed a thin layer of countertop mix to completely cover mold to ensure good coverage over entire mold which helped prevent pinholes.
• Filled rest of mold with countertop mix and allowed to cure.
Acid Staining For a Wood Grain Concrete Countertop Look
“Direct Colors was very helpful and offered advice on how to get the mottled look I was trying to achieve. The process was simple and the Deco Gel Acid Stains were quite easy to work with. I am pleased with the final appearance of the projects and look forward to many years of enjoyment using the countertops.”
Susan T. – Westminster, MD
“I recently stained the back patio which had been covered in green outdoor carpet for about 30 years. After much elbow grease and with the assistance of your Bean-e-doo Mastic Remover, I was able to apply your acid stains. I was going for a marble granite look, and got it. Many thanks for the technical support.”
“Finally completed my basement floor project and love the outcome. Your Shifting Sand is very DIY friendly Acid Stain product and your staff extremely helpful throughout the process. Here are some pictures of the finished project. Thanks so much.”
At Direct Colors, we pride ourselves on customer service and the promise that we’ll help guide you through a project from start to finish. Since 2001 Direct Colors has offered homeowners, contractors and small businesses quality products for reasonable prices.